- Iraklion - The harbor at night | next>>
Dinner nearby at Terzakis, a mezes restaurant. Our table is on the far edge of 25 August street, next to the drain from a little church. No problem; it's not raining and doesn't rain in our whole trip. There's a long list to check off what we want, in Greek and in English - an important cultural resource.
When I ask for the check, they bring:
- 2 covers & bread - some crusts, good tough bread.
- Sea urchin roe in ocean water. The taste is familiar from sushi, but the texture is mealy.
- Melanasalata - eggplant mush is excellent.
- Saganaki, fried cheese, is dull, tough, uninteresting.
- Shrimp with tomato sauce. The sauce is good, thickened like egg-drop soup. The shrimp are way, way overcooked.
- Meatballs/sausage with tomato sauce and, for a few more Drachmas, yoghurt. Quite good. Tangy yoghurt, as usual.
- A small bottle of raki and 2 shot glasses
- Dead ripe, cold, dewy watermelon, honeydew, and green grapes.
- A slice of carmel-flavored pate.
- An adding machine tape that totals 8,850.
<<prev | index | next>>